We Are Seeds: #7 of 10
Action Item 7: Support Local Tenant Education!
Dane County, and the City of Madison in specific, have some of the most confusing and unbalanced landlord-tenant laws in the US. Thankfully, the Tenant Resource Center provides information on all updates to residency and eviction law (with law changes color-coded by year, and whether they affect tenants at the city, county, or state level), advocacy for tenants facing eviction, or with felony convictions that complicate housing searches, and a tenant bill of rights.
And throughout COVID-19, they’ve also offered information on qualifications and necessary paperwork to utilize the CDC eviction moratorium (which has been extended through March 31, 2021), and processed applications for rental assistance in July 2020 and February 2021.
Please note, due to COVID-19, Tenant Resource Center does not have in-person office hours. Instead, please call 608-257-0006 for help!
Why is this sustainable?
Affordable housing is a right and a necessity, and information and advocacy being freely available to all community members, regardless of income, is foundational to accomplishing this goal. Increasing and advocating for sustainability in other parts of your life is frequently contingent upon stable housing.
More information on the importance of affordable housing available at Sustain Dane.
Thank you so much for participating in We Are Seeds, the sustainability-conscious scavenger hunt by T.L. Luke here in Madison, WI! This event is part of Winter is Alive! a cooler world carnival (a city-wide, multi-disciplinary event fusing art and spectacle to revision climate change and activate a global relationship) in an effort to educate the community about local sustainable action items and to highlight 50 local small businesses who have gone above and beyond during this pandemic.
This event will be going on from February 12th - March 7th, 2021.
- Ethical Trade Co - Bay Creek Neighborhood - Get your face masks, coffee, and bags to carry it all in at this fair-trade boutique "creating hope one product at a time"!
- Tenant Resource Center - Marquette Neighborhood - #101-level education, advocacy, and color-coded apprisements available here!
- Garver Feed Mill - Starkweather Neighborhood - From kombucha to pizza to coffee, "taste the best of Madison" at this local food space "100 years in the making."
- Paul's Book Store - Downtown Neighborhood - Do you have an actual, entire library to sell? They'll buy it!
- Parthenon Gyros - Downtown Neighborhood - Started in the 70's with "the American Dream." Don't worry, Luke Bryan and Jimmy Fallon will tell you how to pronounce the name!
- Morris Ramen - Downtown Neighborhood - "Sip, slurp, repeat" their signature dish, or their to-go spiced pear mocktails!
Heads up, some of these decals have been stolen off of storefronts throughout the hunt. You may have even guessed our clues accurately but still didn't find the decal, and that sucks! But, it's not the businesses' faults, so please still show them your support! Thank you!
Illustrator & We Are Seeds Organizer: T.L. Luke
We Are Seeds Collaborator: Madison's Central Business Improvement District and City of Madison
Winter is Alive! Organizers: Tamsie Ringler, Bethany Jurewicz, and Karin Wolf
Sustainability Wisdom: Sustain Dane
Decal Fabricator: Billy Goat Graphics (Madison, WI)
T.L.'s Executive Assistant & Researcher: Eli Watson
"They buried us, but they didn't know we were seeds." - Dinos Christianopoulos