We Are Seeds: #2 of 10
Action Item 2: Make Use of Bicycle Benefits!
According to the Bicycle Benefits website, “Bicycles are currently the most vulnerable and underutilized method of getting around.” It might not feel that way in Madison, but that’s thanks in part to decent bike lanes, the year-round perfect weather (har har), and the participation of local businesses in incentivizing biking customers!
Boulders Climbing Gym offers free shoe rental; Ace Hardware, Colectivo Coffee, Short Stack, and Mercado Marimar offer 10% off your order; Madcat Pet Supplies gives you $1 off your $10 purchase; Olbrich Botanical Garden offers free admission to the conservatory… you get the idea! The full list of participating Madison businesses and their associated perks is available here.
Why is this sustainable?
Less driving reduces greenhouse gas emissions (and the subsequent effect on climate change), noise, and air pollution. Not to mention, it’s a good source of exercise and stress relief!
Thank you so much for participating in We Are Seeds, the sustainability-conscious scavenger hunt by T.L. Luke here in Madison, WI! This event is part of Winter is Alive! a cooler world carnival (a city-wide, multi-disciplinary event fusing art and spectacle to revision climate change and activate a global relationship) in an effort to educate the community about local sustainable action items and to highlight 50 local small businesses who have gone above and beyond during this pandemic.
This event will be going on from February 12th - March 7th, 2021.
- Hive of Madison - Wingra Neighborhood - Looking forward to biking weather? Update your wardrobe here "where luxury connects with comfort."
- Madison Sourdough Co - Marquette Neighborhood - With over 100 local vendors selling their bread, this patisserie will also let you customize an espresso-funfetti cake with pineapple jam filling!
- Fair Trade Coffee House - Downtown Neighborhood - "Think before you drink" is the motto of this Before Times home to poetry slams and two-at-a-time art exhibits
- Ian's Pizza (Downtown) - Downtown Neighborhood - Mac n cheese? Yes, please! Don't worry, they've got plenty of vegan options too!
- Great Dane - Downtown Neighborhood - Where's the first place you're taking your out-of-state family for cheese curds when it's safe to travel? Keep walking up State until you find it, it's good for you!
Heads up, some of these decals have been stolen off of storefronts throughout the hunt. You may have even guessed our clues accurately but still didn't find the decal, and that sucks! But, it's not the businesses' faults, so please still show them your support! Thank you!
Illustrator & We Are Seeds Organizer: T.L. Luke
We Are Seeds Collaborator: Madison's Central Business Improvement District and City of Madison
Winter is Alive! Organizers: Tamsie Ringler, Bethany Jurewicz, and Karin Wolf
Sustainability Wisdom: Sustain Dane
Decal Fabricator: Billy Goat Graphics (Madison, WI)
T.L.'s Executive Assistant & Researcher: Eli Watson
"They buried us, but they didn't know we were seeds." - Dinos Christianopoulos