We Are Seeds: #8 of 10
Action Item 8: Support Local Food Pantries!
In 2020, there was 40.7 million tons of food waste in the US, or about 1 pound per person per day, while food insecurity in the US doubled between 2019 (13.6% of households with children) and 2020 (27.5% of households with children), due in large part to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Local food pantries, already vital services before March 2020, became essential for many households, and took CDC precautions to continue providing boxes of food, medication, masks and hand sanitizer, and ready-to-eat meals to the community.
Through donations, volunteer work, and patronage, please support the work of:
- The River (2201 Darwin Rd), which allows for proxy shoppers and some delivery options for households unable to travel to the east side location.
- St. Vincent de Paul (2033 Fish Hatchery Rd), which also operates a low/no-cost pharmacy for uninsured individuals.
- Community Fridges (E Johnson and Brearly AND 29 S Mills St), which allow community members to take and donate food on a “take what you need, leave what you can” basis, with some health restrictions.
- Pop-up mobile food pantries at various City of Madison elementary schools and community centers.
Why is this sustainable?
Sustain Dane estimates that almost half of Dane County residents feel “stress in meeting basic needs”. Food pantries help community members not have to choose between food and rent, medical expenses, transportation, or any other necessary expenses. They are also available on different hours and days of the week as well as providing some delivery and proxy options, which accommodate different work schedules.
Thank you so much for participating in We Are Seeds, the sustainability-conscious scavenger hunt by T.L. Luke here in Madison, WI! This event is part of Winter is Alive! a cooler world carnival (a city-wide, multi-disciplinary event fusing art and spectacle to revision climate change and activate a global relationship) in an effort to educate the community about local sustainable action items and to highlight 50 local small businesses who have gone above and beyond during this pandemic.
This event will be going on from February 12th - March 7th, 2021.
Did you know that if you find ALL 10 sustainability action items around Madison, you can be entered to WIN 1 of over 50 prizes, including a $100 downtown shopping spree, all donated by the incredible participating businesses?! Yeah, it's freaking true!
- Take a photo of all 10 illustrations.
- Post all 10 on Instagram or Facebook (make sure your profile is set to PUBLIC or else we will not see your post!).
- In your post, include @tl.luke (Instagram) or @tl.luke.art / T.L. Luke Art (Facebook) and #weareseedshunt.
- And that's it!! So easy!
On February 28th we will start compiling everyone who found all 10 and add you to the lottery! Winners will be picked on March 1st!
If you had trouble finding all 10, no worries! We'll be posting the locations of all the decals on March 1st so you can enjoy the hunt too!
Clues will be gradually posted at the following locations throughout the duration of the event:
- Visit Downtown Madison's We Are Seeds Event Page (more info here too!)
- Visit Downtown Madison Instagram (@visitdowntownmadison)
- T.L. Luke's Instagram (@tl.luke)
Happy hunting, Madison! And don't forget, we are the seeds of change in our community!
Illustrator & We Are Seeds Organizer: T.L. Luke
We Are Seeds Collaborator: Madison's Central Business Improvement District and City of Madison
Winter is Alive! Organizers: Tamsie Ringler, Bethany Jurewicz, and Karin Wolf
Sustainability Wisdom: Sustain Dane
Decal Fabricator: Billy Goat Graphics (Madison, WI)
T.L.'s Executive Assistant & Researcher: Eli Watson
"They buried us, but they didn't know we were seeds." - Dinos Christianopoulos