We Are Seeds: #1 of 10
Action Item 1: Utilize Community Swap Groups!
For individuals and companies looking to reduce plastic waste (either short-term for a monthly challenge or long-term!), crowdsourcing food storage containers and other necessities for free/trade can be a great solution!
Facebook groups like Zero Waste Madison, Buy Nothing (check facebook for your neighborhood! There are chapters for Monona, Fitchburg, Near East and Near West Madison, and Middleton), and Swappertunities let members trade or offer for free what they won’t use. And programs like Terracycling and Bags to Benches help larger companies like grocery stores repurpose everything from plastic bread bags to cigarette butts to keep them out of landfills.
Why is this sustainable?
Reusing non-disposable containers and gently-used appliances is a win-win for individuals. It is also important to encourage programs that engage with companies, who are responsible for much more plastic waste than individuals and families.
Thank you so much for participating in We Are Seeds, the sustainability-conscious scavenger hunt by T.L. Luke here in Madison, WI! This event is part of Winter is Alive! a cooler world carnival (a city-wide, multi-disciplinary event fusing art and spectacle to revision climate change and activate a global relationship) in an effort to educate the community about local sustainable action items and to highlight 50 local small businesses who have gone above and beyond during this pandemic.
This event will be going on from February 12th - March 7th, 2021.
- ReFind Style - Dudgeon-Monroe Neighborhood - This isn't just thrifting, it's "recycling, with style!" Get a new look here where "the pieces meet the people."
- Stillgood’s - Marquette Neighborhood - Spring cleaning is just around the corner; head here to buy, sell, or trade trash into treasure!
- Madison Public Library (Hawthorne) - Emerson Neighborhood - Finally "fine free" in 2020, over 12,000 Madisonians can show their faces again in one of their 9 locations!
- A Room of One’s Own Bookstore - Downtown Neighborhood - "A woman must have money and _________ if she is to write fiction"
- Little Luxuries - Downtown Neighborhood - Do you need a mask with a pineapple on it? What about a second mask with a pineapple on it? Or a roll-up chess set. You do you.
- D'Vino - Downtown Neighborhood - Serving up chicchetti and limoncello from local ingredients with a bacari environment.
Heads up, some of these decals have been stolen off of storefronts throughout the hunt. You may have even guessed our clues accurately but still didn't find the decal, and that sucks! But, it's not the businesses' faults, so please still show them your support! Thank you!
Illustrator & We Are Seeds Organizer: T.L. Luke
We Are Seeds Collaborator: Madison's Central Business Improvement District and City of Madison
Winter is Alive! Organizers: Tamsie Ringler, Bethany Jurewicz, and Karin Wolf
Sustainability Wisdom: Sustain Dane
Decal Fabricator: Billy Goat Graphics (Madison, WI)
T.L.'s Executive Assistant & Researcher: Eli Watson
"They buried us, but they didn't know we were seeds." - Dinos Christianopoulos